Monday, August 2, 2010

Bimbo's Octagon, Side Lake, MN



We saw the lights from Bimbo's reflecting off the lake from our campground so I knew we'd be checking out this place for sure.  And it really is an octagon.  It has the coolest interior & I wish I had taken pictures of it. One wall is covered with a huge painted on map of the area. Behind the bar is what we dubbed 'Whorehouse' wallpaper.  It's red and has velvety designs on it.  I love that stuff!  There are old photographs, of what I assume are actresses or singers, in a couple of places. And there are a couple of places they've exposed the old wood logs that make up the walls.  In the addition they have a stage and even a video game room.


However, the drinks were pretty mediocre. I might as well have been drinking cranberry juice.  And they did something I've never seen before.  They charged for the mix separately.  They have a full menu but we weren't very hungry and just ordered the nachos.  What we got was one of those little paper boats with some tortilla chips and a little cup of salsa and a little cup of salsa.  
I realize they were only $3 or $4 but somehow we expected a little more than that.  


Pete says we probably wouldn't go back if we're in the area.  Me?  I'm a little more realistic.